Toggle menu

Animal Activity

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from South Ayrshire Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet, a licence is also required for sanctuaries and rehoming establishments.

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

How to apply

The application must be lodged with Environmental Health & Trading Standards, 5-9 River Terrace,Ayr, KA8 0BJ via post or by emailing your completed application

Debit/Credit Card payments can be made by calling 0300 123 0900 and asking for Environmental Health. Office hours are Monday - Thursday 8.45am til 4.45pm and Friday 8.45am til 4pm.

Applications will not be processed until Environmental Health are in receipt of the fee.

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged. South Ayrshire Council will have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
  • that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 25 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

In the interests of animal welfare, there is no automatic granting of a licence should we fail to respond to you. Tacit Consent does not apply.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the local Sheriff covering South Ayrshire. A Sheriff may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Also, any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Sheriff covering South Ayrshire. A Sheriff may give directions on the issue of a condition.