Register a stillbirth
Find out how to register a stillbirth.
Before you start
You must register a stillbirth within 21 days.
If the stillbirth took place in Scotland, you can register at a registration office in Scotland.
Who can register a stillbirth?
Either parent if:
- married to each other
- in a registered civil partnership
The mother only if:
- not in a civil partnership
Both parents must be there to include both names on the certificate.
A relative can register a stillbirth in exceptional circumstances. Contact a registrar if you need more information about this.
How to register
What happens next
You'll be asked to attend an appointment. On the day of your appointment you'll need to bring the following:
- Stillbirth registration card from hospital
- Medical certificate (form 6)
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applies)
Documents we'll give you
- Certificate of registration of stillbirth (form 8)
- Extract of the entry in the register (if a parent asks for this)
There's no cost for these documents.