Toggle menu

Register a marriage

Find out how to register a marriage.

Before you start

You must give at least 29 days' notice for a marriage.

The earliest you can submit the form is 3 months before your wedding ceremony.

These should be submitted by post or delivered in person to the Town Hall letterbox. Please ensure correct postage for your envelope size and weight.

Office appointments are also available on Thursdays if you prefer to submit your notice in person.  Please call the office on 01292 617617 to arrange.

Download an M10 application form

Guidance notes for the completion of the Marriage Notice Application Form (M10)

Marriage in Scotland - Information Leaflet RM1

Witness Information Form (PDF) [62KB]

All required forms for registering a marriage can be found at the National Records of Scotland website.

Who can register a marriage?

Both partners must:

  • be at least 16 years old when you register the marriage
  • be not related to each other in a way which prevents a marriage
  • be unmarried and not in a civil partnership
  • provide documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended legally
  • understand the nature of a marriage ceremony and is able to consent to marriage

How to register

Contact the Registrars team

What happens next

You'll be given an appointment in which you need to bring along original documents. A list of the documents you'll need to bring is below.

If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation. We don't accept copies. 

For each partner

  • Completed MN10 forms
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Proof of home address

You also need to give names and addresses of 2 witnesses who are at least 16 years old.

If you've been married before

You also need to bring these documents:

  • Legal documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, Decree absolute
  • Death certificate if your previous spouse or partner has died

Immigration control

If you're subject to immigration control and not a UK national, you'll be asked for extra documents. We'll let you know this when you contact us.