Register a birth
Find out how to register a birth.
Before you start
You must register a birth within 21 days.
If your baby was born in Scotland, you can register the birth at any registration office in Scotland.
Who can register a birth?
Either parent if:
- married to each other
- in a civil partnership
The mother if parents are:
- not in a civil partnership
Both parents must be there to include both names on the birth certificate.
A relative can register a birth in exceptional circumstances. Contact a registrar if you need more information about this.
How to register
A birth occurring in Scotland may be registered in any Scottish registration office.
What happens next
You'll be given an appointment to attend and you'll need to bring:
- your notification card from hospital
- a marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
Documents we'll give you
- Abbreviated birth certificate
- Form EC58, which lets you register your child with a GP
There's no cost for these documents.