Toggle menu

Petroleum Storage Certificate

If you dispense petrol into the tanks of motor vehicles you may require a petroleum storage certificate. Dispensing means manual or electrical pumping of petrol from a storage tank on workplace premises.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 make it a legal requirement for such premises to hold a valid Petroleum Storage Certificate granted by our Trading Standards Team (Petroleum Enforcement Authority, PEA).

Petroleum Storage Certificates are issued for the workplace premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company. The certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either prescribed material changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months. There is however a renewal fee and more details on this can be found here - Fees and charges - South Ayrshire Council (

Conditions are not attached to the Petroleum storage certificate, but the site operator is required to comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosives Atmospheres Regulations 2002 and any other relevant Health and Safety legislation.

For non-workplace premises, if you intend to store over 275 litres, you will need a petroleum storage licence. To apply for this licence please contact the Trading Standards Team.  If you intend to store over 30 litres and up to 275 litres, you should also notify our Trading Standards Team for guidance. Contact details can be found via this link - Contact Trading Standards - South Ayrshire Council (

Apply for a Petroleum Storage Certificate

If you are looking to renew your Petroleum Storage Certificate, please select the link below and complete the online form and pay the appropriate fee within the payment section at the end of the form.

Apply here