Toggle menu

Property Maintenance Owner Engagement - Communal Repairs privacy notice

Read the privacy notice for Property Maintenance (Owner Engagement - Communal Repairs)

To allow us to provide our communal repairs service to you we require you to provide us with some personal data or information, as an owner/occupier affected by these communal repairs.

As the 'data controller' for the personal information - or data - we hold about you, South Ayrshire Council decides how your personal information is used/processed, and what it is used for. This statement provides more details about this and provides information on how to get in touch with us if you need to know more.

Your personal data - what is it?

Personal data is information relating to a living person who can be identified from that data. Identification can be based on the information alone, or in conjunction with any other information. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (GDPR) and supplemented by the Data Protection Act 2018.

What Personal Data will we collect from you?

We will only collect the personal information we need to provide you with relevant information, services and support. The personal data we will collect includes:

  • Name
  • Home address
  • Contact address (if this is different from your home address)
  • Email address
  • Landline telephone number
  • Mobile telephone number

How will we use your information?

We will only collect the personal data we need in order to facilitate a communal repairs service. We will use your personal data to contact you as part of our process in engaging with you about proposed works, this may include accessing your title deeds, which are documents available within the public domain, to ascertain information relating to repairs to your property.

What is the legal basis for using/sharing your information?

Processing is necessary under the terms of the GDPR to allow us to repair and maintain mixed tenure properties and undertake repairs to properties where you are an affected owner, for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller. The primary legislation underpinning the provision of this service is:

  • The Housing (Scotland) Act 1987
  • The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006.

Who will we share your information with?

Property Maintenance will only share your information if necessary in order for us to provide you with this service. Your information may be shared with other Council services (e.g. housing and legal) and your name, address and contact details will require to be shared with approved private contractors who are undertaking the repairs. This is necessary to allow us to maintain an effective repairs service.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary. We will retain your data for the current year plus five years from the date of the last repair action.

What are your rights?

The lawful basis for processing/using your personal data directly impacts which rights are available to you. For example, some rights will not apply, if we are processing your data under public task (Article 6 (1) (e)) we are not required to:

  • erase your personal information
  • enable the right to data portability.

However, you do have the following rights and can ask us to:

  • correct your personal information if it is inaccurate;
  • complete your personal information if it is incomplete; and
  • restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.

You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal information.

What are the consequences of failing to provide personal information?

Where the provision of your information to the Council is a statutory requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, you are obliged to provide the information. Failure to provide the necessary information to Property Maintenance may result in the service taking advice from the Council's Legal Services to discuss proceeding with repairs where health and safety and the fabric of the building are affected.

Do you require this statement in a different format?

Please contact us if you require this information in an alternative format.

How can you get in touch with us?

If you wish to obtain any records held by the Council relating to you, or if you have any general data protection queries, please contact the Council's Data Protection Service at:

Data Protection Officer
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square

Telephone: 01292 612 223

If you have a complaint

If you are unhappy with the way the Council has dealt with your personal information, you can complain to the Data Protection Officer using the contact details noted above. If you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
45 Melville Street

Telephone: 0303 123 1113

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon