Rapid Rehousing Transition Planning
Background on Rapid Rehousing Transition Planning (RRTP)
In 2018, the Scottish Government set out a comprehensive and far-reaching vision to end homelessness in Scotland, informed by the recommendations of the Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Action Group (HARSAG).
The cornerstone of the Government's vision for homelessness is 'Rapid Rehousing'- a model that focuses on providing people experiencing homelessness with a settled housing option as quickly as possible, and minimising stays in temporary accommodation.
A key element in this approach involves preventing homelessness from happening in the first place. Locally, that means considering what more we can do to prevent homelessness, and how we can better work with our partners to achieve this. Where homelessness cannot be prevented, Rapid Rehousing means ensuring:
● A settled, mainstream housing outcome with appropriate support is found as quickly as possible;
● Time spent in any form of temporary accommodation reduced to a minimum, with the fewer transitions the better;
● When temporary accommodation is needed, the optimum type is mainstream, furnished and within a community.
For people with more complex needs:
● Housing First - that is, mainstream housing in the community supported by ongoing intensive, wraparound support - should be the response for people with complex needs and multiple disadvantages;
● Where mainstream accommodation - including Housing First - would not be suitable for the individual, highly specialist provision within small, shared, supported and trauma informed environments is the optimum option.
Our Rapid Rehousing Transition Plan sets out the five-year direction of travel for housing access, homelessness and prevention. Agreed actions highlight our focus of work to drive forward the transformational change required to make Rapid Rehousing a reality in South Ayrshire.
For more information on Rapid Rehousing Transition planning please contact:
Rapid Rehousing Transition Plan Officer
21 River Terrace
Coordinator - Housing Policy and Strategy
21 River Terrace