Recently, the IK has been experiencing an outbreak of Avian Flu (bird flu).
Avain Flu poses a very low risk to humans, however we would ask that you:
- Do not touch any dead or sick birds
- Keep children away from dead or sick birds
- Keep dogs and other animals away from dead or sick birds
- Avoid feeding wild birds, as this causes them to congregate and may encourage the spread of the disease
- Do not touch wild bird feathers or surfaces contaminated with wild bird droppings
- If you come in contact with wild birds, wash your hands and clean and disinfect your footwear
Please report any sightings to our waste management team on 0300 123 0900.
If you come in contact with wild dead birds and develop flu like symptoms then please contact your GP or NHS 111 and advise of the full circumstances.