South Ayrshire Council - 29 June 2022
South Ayrshire Council agenda and papers for the meeting of 29 June 2022
Notice of meeting
Agenda for South Ayrshire Council of 29 June 2022 (PDF) [290KB]
Notices of Motion for Council (PDF) [285KB]
2. Sederunt and Declarations of Interest.
3. Minutes of previous meetings of the Council.
Submit for approval as correct records and authorise to be signed:-
(1) 19 May 2022; and
Item 3(1) previous mins of 19 May 2022 (PDF) [292KB]
(2) 26 May 2022 (Special)
Minutes of meeting of 26 May 2022 (Special) (PDF) [134KB]
4. Review of Management Structure - Submit report by Chief Executive (copy herewith)
Item 4 Review of Management Structure (PDF) [439KB]
5. Appointments to Panel - Submit report by Head of Legal, HR and Regulatory Services (copy herewith).
Item 5 Appointments to Panel (PDF) [57KB]
6. Representation on Outside Bodies - Submit report by Head of Legal, HR and Regulatory Services (copy herewith).
Item 6 Representation on Outside Bodies (PDF) [67KB]
7. Appointments to Convention of Scottish Local Authorities Policy Boards - Submit report by Head of Legal, HR and Regulatory Services (copy herewith).
Item 7 Appointments to COSLA Policy Boards (PDF) [76KB]
8. South Ayrshire Charitable Trust - Submit report by Head of Legal, HR and Regulatory Services (copy herewith).
Item 8 SA Charitable Trust (PDF) [141KB]
9. Standing Orders Relating to Contracts - Submit report by Head of Legal, HR and Regulatory Services (copy herewith).
Item 9 SOs Relating to Contracts (PDF) [390KB]
10. Budget Management - Revenue Budgetary Control 2021/22 - Out-turn Statement at 31 March 2022 - Submit report by Head of Finance and ICT (copy herewith).
Item 10 Budget Management (PDF) [506KB]
11 ICT Security and ICT Acceptable Use Policies - Submit report by Head of Finance and ICT (copy herewith).
Item 11 ICT Policies (PDF) [477KB]
12. Addressing Future Needs/Local Authority Covid Economic Recovery (LACER) Fund - Submit report by Head of Finance and ICT (copy herewith).
Item 12 LACER Fund (PDF) [198KB]
13. Levelling Up Fund - Submit report by Assistant Director - Place (copy herewith).
Item 13 Levelling Up Fund (PDF) [86KB]
14. Ayrshire Roads Alliance Service Plan 2022/23 and Performance Report 2021/22 - Submit report by Director - Place (copy herewith).
Item 14 ARA Service Plan (PDF) [733KB]
15. Ayr Station Hotel Update - Submit report by Director - Place (copy herewith).
Item 15 Station Hotel Update (PDF) [93KB]
16. Update on the Local Development Plan 2 Supplementary Guidance Design Brief - Submit report by Director - Place (copy herewith).
17. Updated Policy for the Acquisition and Disposal of Land and Buildings - Submit report by Director - Place (copy herewith).
Item 17 Acquisition Policy (PDF) [240KB]
NOTICE OF MOTION TO COUNCIL:
(1) from Councillor Brian McGinley, seconded by Councillor Peter Henderson:-
"The UK All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) conducted an inquiry in April 2018 to develop a working definition of Islamophobia and agreed a working definition of Islamophobia that provides: -
"Islamophobia is rooted in racism and is a type of racism that targets expressions of Muslimness or perceived Muslimness."
This definition is endorsed by all political parties in the Scottish Government and adopted by the Liberal Democrats, UK Labour, Plaid Cymru, SNP Westminster Group and the Muslim Council of Britain.
It is a pragmatic definition that supports policymakers to tackle the manifestations of islamophobia
• The definition addresses forms of Islamophobia beyond physical and verbal abuse, currently governed by existing hate legislation." Perceived Muslimness" highlights the radicalisation and intersectionality of Islamophobia, an issue which affects non-Muslim communities such as Sikhs because of harmful stereotypes.
• The definition signifies allyship with British Muslims, who are the most disproportionately targeted religious group as per Home Office's report highlighting 45% of recorded religious hate crime id targeted towards Muslims 2020/21.
• The definition sets precedent for local institutions such as police, schools, and other workplaces by equipping them to better understand the issue and devise meaningful strategies to tackle it. For instance, undergoing and delivering awareness training.
The Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group (CPG) on Tackling Islamophobia was established in April 2018 to consider Islamophobia in Scotland. A report entitled "Scotland's Islamophobia" prepared by Peter Hopkins from the University of Newcastle supports the use of this definition and contains recommendations for the Scottish Government and a more limited number for local authorities where they choose to adopt the definition.
Council is therefore asked to note the proposal to adopt this definition of Islamophobia and requests officers to prepare a report for Cabinet in August that provides further background to the adopting of this definition, explains the steps Council requires to take if it adopts the definition and sets out any associated costs of doing so."
(2) from Councillor Lee Lyons, seconded by Councillor Bob Shields:-
"Council asks that officers present a report to the Cabinet in August providing
1. an update on the programme of works for implementing the decision of Council on 26 November 2019 to demolish the riverside flats including the progress with the removal of the mast on the third tower;
2. the full cost of the riverside flats' demolition including the removal of the mast and any associated costs of doing so;
3. the steps Council would require to take to cancel the demolition, any consequences of doing so and the full costs associated with such cancellation; and
4. the steps required to refurbish the riverside flats, the expected timelines for a refurbishment and the full costs associated with a refurbishment."
18. Formal Questions and Responses.
Formal Questions and Responses (PDF) [57KB]
19. Ayrshire Growth Deal - Commercial Build - Submit report by Director - Place (Members only) (to follow)
Meeting Papers for South Ayrshire Council of 29 June 2022 (PDF) [16MB]
The recording of this meeting can be viewed on our Webcasting channel.