Visa & Immigration
Biometric Residency Permits (BRP'S)
A BRP is evidence of the holder's right to stay in the United Kingdom and shows the conditions of their stay. It enables a person to confirm their identity as part of the process for opening a bank account in the UK and rights to study and/or work here, and to access public services. You can't apply for one independently as it forms part of the visa process.
When the BRP is issued will depend on how the visa application has been made:
- If applied from inside the UK - the BRP will be sent to the address provided in the visa application, within 7 - 10 days of getting a decision letter from the home office saying that they can enter or remain in the UK.
- If applied from outside UK - you will need to collect your BRP when you arrive in the UK. However, you must do this before your vignette sticker in your travel documents expires, or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is the latest. You will be told in your decision letter where you can collect your BRP from, which will be either a named Post Office, or your nominated sponsor.
A visa vignette is the physical visa that is added to a traveller's passport or travel document.
For VISA application queries
The sponsor or guest should contact the UKVI Support Desk. Free of charge, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. (Translation services available).
- From inside the UK, telephone: 0808 164 8810
- From outside the UK, telephone: + 44 808 164 8810
If you cannot contact UK 0808 call +44 1753 907510 (charges may apply)
Select one of the following options
- For the Ukraine Family Scheme
- Ukraine national, or Ukraine national family member, applying under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme
- If you are in the UK inquiring about sponsoring a Ukraine national, or Ukraine national family member under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme
- If you are calling from a Charity or an organisation
If you arrive in the UK and you are homeless, you can call 0300 123 0900. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.