English as an Additional Language
The English as an Additional Language Service provides support to children and young people with English as an Additional Language (EAL) who attend early years centres and schools across South Ayrshire.
The service is for children and young people who:
- are new to English
- have limited English
- are fluent in spoken English but are not yet achieving their full potential academically
Peripatetic EAL teachers/early years practitioners visit children and young people in their education setting to:
- Assess and monitor pupils' English language needs and progress
- Provide one-to-one tuition and/or in-class language and curriculum support
- Work with class teachers and early years practitioners on pupils' language needs across the curriculum and useful resources
- Offer advice and support to schools on the promotion and celebration of cultural and language opportunities
- Delivering awareness raising sessions on visual impairments to educational staff and peers.