Toggle menu

Registration of a Food Business Establishment

Register a food business

If you have a food business in South Ayrshire such as a hotel, restaurant, cafe, takeaway, food shop, home catering business, or mobile food van, then you need to register with us. You should also register if you are a Childminder. 

Approved premises

If you manufacture or process products of animal origin may need to be approved rather than registered. If you require approval you must not operate your business until approval has been granted. More information can be found on our approved food premises page.

How to register

The relevant Registration Form must be lodged with Environmental Health & Trading Standards.

Food Business Registration Form

Childminders Food Business Registration Form

You must complete the form at least 28 days before starting.

You must also tell us about any changes - Contact Environmental Health - South Ayrshire Council (

What happens next?

Depending on the nature of your business an officer will visit your premises within 25 or 50 working days to carry out an initial inspection of your premises. More information on what to expect from an inspection.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

This is only a registration so tacit consent does apply.