Toggle menu

Approved food premises

If you manufacture or process products of animal origin may need to be approved by us as well as registered. If you require approval you must not operate your business until approval has been granted. If you think approval might apply to you, please contact us for advice.

Premises must apply to us for approval to trade. Before approval is granted, premises will be checked to ensure compliance with the specific criteria listed in the legislation. Once approved, the premises are given a unique number known as a health mark, which is printed on their labels. The approved premises are notified to the Food Standards Agency.

How to apply

To start the approval process please complete the form   Food Premises Approval (Word doc) [48KB]

You must also tell us about any changes - Contact Environmental Health - South Ayrshire Council (

What happens next?

Before considering an application we must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged. A verification inspection will be undertaken to ensure compliance with all requirements of the legislation before approval can be granted.

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 21 days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

In the interests of public safety, there is no automatic granting of a licence should we fail to respond to you. Tacit Consent does not apply.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact Environmental Health using the contact details below in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Further information

For more information see the EU Rules regarding Food Hygiene or visit Food Standards Scotland.