Environmental health customer charter
Environmental Health provides food safety, health and safety, environmental protection and public health functions.
Hygiene, Composition and Labelling, Complaint Investigations, Sampling, Import/Export Checks, Unsound Food, Licensing and Approvals, Training, National Food Alerts, Food Poisoning Investigations, Advice and Guidance.
Health and Safety
Workplace Safety and Welfare Inspections, Accident Investigations, Complaint Investigations, Advice and Guidance.
Air Quality Monitoring, Noise and Vibration Investigations, Contaminated Land Investigations, Radiation Monitoring, Sampling and Monitoring of Water Supplies, Publicising Bathing Water Quality, Advice and Guidance.
Public Health Complaint Investigations, Sea and Air Port Health, Licensing of Premises for Keeping of Animals, Advice and Guidance.
Minimum Standards for Living Accommodation, Closing and Demolition Orders, Shared Accommodation Standards, Investigation of Complaints, Licensing and Inspection of Caravan Sites, Advice and Guidance.
Investigation and Treatment of Rats, Mice, Wasps and certain Insects, Advice and Guidance, Insect Identification Service.
Stray dogs, Dog Fouling, Re-homing Scheme, Responsible Dog Ownership.
We have a team of courteous and experienced staff who will be happy to offer advice and assistance with any enquiries you may have.
When you contact us we will aim to:
- Reply to letters/memoranda within 10 working days, and if the matter is complex an acknowledgement will be sent after 3 working days advising who is dealing with the matter and when a reply will be sent.
When you contact us by telephone:
- We will give our name and section when answering the telephone.
- We will try to deal with your telephone enquiry at the time or pass you to an officer who can.
- If the person you need to speak to is not available, you can choose to speak to someone else who can help. If you leave a message we will get back to you within 1 working day.
Respond to general requests for service and enquiries:
- By providing initial responses within 3 working days of receipt of requests/enquiries; and
- Providing reports in writing to those making requests/enquiries within 10 working days of receipt.
You can expect us to:
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
- Give you as much information and immediate advice as possible.
- Observe privacy and confidentiality in all matters.
- Monitor and evaluate our performance.
- Give you a quality service at all times.
- Endeavour to provide clean, accessible public offices that ensure privacy, comply with occupational and safety standards and that facilitate access for disabled people and people with additional support needs.
Specific service standards
In the following areas we will aim to:
Food Hygiene/Food Standards and Health and Safety Inspections
- Forward letters following inspection to the proprietors of premises within 10 working days of inspections.
- Respond to complaints regarding stray dogs immediately on receipt of the complaint and, if this is not practical, within 1 working day.
- Respond to complaints regarding dog fouling by investigating and reporting to complainants within 7 working days.
- Respond to requests for high priority work within 1 working day.
- Respond to requests for low priority work within 3 working days.
- In the case of noise complaints which present significant intrusion into public health and well- being, respond within 1 working day.
- Respond to other noise complaints within 3 days or at the first available opportunity, if the complaint is intermittent.
- Respond to complainants by confirming details within 4 weeks of receipt of complaints and, if necessary, by providing an update of the position until conclusion of investigations.
Food Safety, Health and Safety and Public Health Complaints
- Respond to complaints within 3 working days.
When you ask for an appointment
If you wish to make an appointment to discuss any aspect of our service please contact our reception on 01292 618222 to arrange a mutually convenient appointment.
Identification of staff
All our staff and contractors are issued with identification cards, which they are expected to display prominently. The cards give the name, position and department of the cardholder and they also include a photograph.
If our staff are calling at your home or place of business, you are entitled to ask to see their identity card so you can satisfy yourself that they represent South Ayrshire Council. The details on the identification card can be verified by contacting the telephone number printed on the identification card.
Treating everyone fairly
Development, Safety and Regulation is committed to promoting equal opportunities for the community it serves.
What you can do to help
- Keep us informed of any changes in your personal circumstances that may affect any service that we are providing.
- Attend any appointment in time, or let us know if you cannot do so.
- Behave in a considerate and polite way so we can give you and other customers the standard of service you would expect.
- Provide the information we ask for when we ask for it. This will help speed up the process.
- Ensure that you read all information that we provide for you, it is to your benefit.
- Please be patient as there will be times when we are exceptionally busy. We will however, make every effort to keep waiting times to a minimum.
What if I am not satisfied?
If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, please contact us and we will try to resolve any problems quickly, and explain what we have done and why.
If we do not respond satisfactorily, you can take your complaint further by using our feedback procedure. You can get a leaflet titled 'Help Us To Get It Right' directly from us or from any South Ayrshire Council office. Alternatively you can phone 0300 123 0900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use this procedure for comments, suggestions and complaints about other South Ayrshire Council services.
We hope you will find this information helpful and that we continue to meet the standards we have set. Please let us know what you think by using our feedback procedure or by contacting us directly at the address below.
How and when you can phone or visit us
Address: Burns House, Burns Statute Square, Ayr KA7 1TU
Telephone No: 01292 618222
Fax No: 01292 288755
Monday - Thursday: 8.45am - 4.45pm
Friday: 8.45am - 4.00pm