Our free and confidential mediation service helps neighbours who are having disputes to sort out their differences in a friendly manner. Available to everyone in South Ayrshire, our service can be very effective when used early on in the dispute and so we encourage members of the public to come forward and talk to us.
What is mediation?
Mediation gives you the opportunity to:
- Deal with a range of neighbour disputes (eg. noise, boundaries, use of common areas, pets, vehicles, rubbish, etc).
- Discuss your situation in a controlled and safe environment.
- Be listened to and listen to your neighbour.
- Reach a practical agreement which everyone can live with.
Who are the mediators?
Our mediators are specially trained and experienced in resolving a wide range of disputes. They are independent, will not pass judgment and will not take sides.
What happens in the mediation process?
The mediators will visit all parties involved in the dispute. You will be able to explain what your issues are and how you feel about them. The mediators will explain the process and answer any questions you may have. If all parties agree, a face to face meeting in a safe and comfortable venue is arranged.
What are the benefits of mediation?
- You have the opportunity to resolve the dispute before it gets worse
- You will both benefit if you come to an agreement
- The agreement is yours - mediation just helps you reach it
Remember, you have nothing to lose by agreeing to mediation.
When is mediation suitable?
Mediation is suitable if all parties:
- want to solve the problem
- agree to participate
- the issues are within you and your neighbour's control.