Craigie Estate, Ayr
Having been long in the possession of the Wallaces of Craigie, the estate was sold in 1782-83 to William Campbell. It was then possessed by the Campbells until its purchase by Ayr Town Council in 1939. William Campbell had returned from India, where he had made his fortune, but no information has emerged about his activities there. No proven negative association.