eBooks and audio books
Please note: Due to Amazon's restrictions in the UK, OverDrive ebooks can currently only be used on the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD series of tablets not the standard Kindle series of ebook readers. Customers using a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD tablet will need to use the Libby app or OverDrive Read to use this service. Please see the sections below for guidance.
The OverDrive app will be discontinued at the end of April 2023. To continue to use our library's digital collection you must upgrade to use the Libby App (For Kobo users please see note below). In the Libby app, you'll find the same great titles from our library, in a beautiful, modern, easy-to-use layout, and your loans, holds and wish list items will be waiting for you. Learn more about this change.
What are ebooks?
ebooks are downloadable books and audiobooks, which you can read or listen to on your computer and / or on a mobile device such as an ebook reader, smart phone, iPod, or tablet.
What do I need to borrow ebooks?
All you need is a computer, an Internet connection, a valid South Ayrshire Library card and PIN code. It's easy to use, available 24/7 and there are no late fees, simply browse, checkout, download.
- Your library card number can be found below the barcode on the back of your library card. (e.g. 620412298).
- Your PIN code is four numbers long and would have been set for you when you registered (e.g.1234). If you are unsure of your PIN code please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
How long can I borrow a title for?
Up to 6 titles can be borrowed at any one time. You can choose how long you want to download each one for - 7 days, 14 days, or 21 days and items are returned automatically. If a book is already checked out, you can put it in your "wish list" and you will be emailed when it becomes available.
Download Libby, the new app to let you discover and instantly enjoy thousands of ebooks and audiobooks FREE from your library.
- Ground-breaking ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player.
- It only takes a few taps to find and borrow a title.
- Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space.
- Sample any book with a tap - nothing to download or delete.
- Perfect for travelling or when you are on the 'go'.
- Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio.
To find out more about Libby visit: https://meet.libbyapp.com.
- Install the Libby app from your device's app store.
- Open the app. To find us search for 'South Ayrshire Libraries'.
- Browse the collection and borrow a title. When prompted, sign in. You'll need a valid library card to complete this step.
- Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf and download to the app automatically so you can read them when you're offline.
- From your Shelf tap Start Reading or Start Listening to open a title.
OverDrive Read - See Book, Read book
OverDrive Read is an in-browser ebook reader. It works just like any ebook reading app, except you don't need to activate or install extra software.
Although the OverDrive app is being discontinued in early 2023, Kobo devices with built-in OverDrive functionality won't be affected. Your users can continue borrowing and reading OverDrive titles on these devices as usual.
As long as you're signed into OverDrive on your Kobo using the same library card as you added to Libby, most of the books you borrow in Libby will sync to your Kobo over Wi-Fi. Or, you can browse your library's collection and borrow books directly on your Kobo if you prefer.
If you have an older model of Kobo, you can download books on a computer, then use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to transfer them to your Kobo.
Help and advice
For instructions on how to download ebooks and audiobooks, or to check if your device is compatible with our ebook service visit OverDrive, our ebook service provider's Help Guide.
Accessibility options and information about using our ebook and audiobook service.