Toggle menu

Public Charitable Collections

Public Charitable Collection (Word doc) [55KB]

Public Charitable Collections guidance notes

To run a group or organisation that makes public or house-to-house collections for charitable purposes you need a licence for the collection from South Ayrshire Council, unless you hold an exemption.

The organiser of the collection must apply in writing (including by electronic means) to South Ayrshire Council no later than one month before the date of the collection.

How to apply

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

South Ayrshire Council shall consult the chief constable for the area and make such other inquiries as they think fit.

South Ayrshire Council will consider:

  • public inconvenience
  • other collections taking place
  • the amount of money to be given to charity against the likely proceeds of the collection
  • any convictions of the organiser

We would expect to process your application within 183 calendar days or 10 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

The organiser of a collection may appeal to the sheriff within 14 days of the date of refusal or, if reasons for the refusal have been given, within 14 days from the date of receipt of those reasons.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about a licence holder then please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Licensing Services
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Ayr KA7 1DR
Tel: 01292 617682