Toggle menu

Public Entertainment licence

If your premises are used as a place of public entertainment you must hold a public entertainment licence.

Such a licence is not required in certain circumstances, eg for an athletic or sports ground being used for sports or athletic purposes or entertainment that is being provided on premises licensed under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 during licensed hours.

The following use of the premises/site as a place of public entertainment require to be licensed: leisure/pool complexes linked with commercial activity, concerts, displays (including fireworks and bonfire displays), exhibitions and sporting events (whether indoors or outdoors) at which an audience may be present, circuses, fairgrounds, snooker/billiard halls, dancing, discotheques and roller discos, ice rinks and amusement arcades.

If the application is for entertainment that will be mainly or wholly on the premises you must display a public notice detailing your application, in a public place at or near the premises for 21 days from the date the application is submitted. The notice must contain details relating to the application, where objections and representations can be made and how the objections and representations can be made.

If you are required to place a notice you must supply South Ayrshire Council with a certificate confirming you have complied with the requirement.

How to apply

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

South Ayrshire Council will send a copy of the application to the local chief constable and to the appropriate relevant authority (or where applicable the enforcing authority under the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005).

The enforcing or relevant authority may be the Health & Safety Executive, the fire service or South Ayrshire Council.

South Ayrshire Council will give notice to the public in local newspapers of every application

We would expect to process your application within 183 calendar days or 131 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Will Tacit Consent apply

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

If you wish to appeal against a decision you may do so to the local sheriff within 28 days of the decision. The sheriff can only uphold an appeal if they consider that the licensing authority:

  • erred in law
  • used incorrect material fact when making their decision
  • acted contrary to natural justice
  • didn't exercise their discretion in a reasonable manner

Appeals against a sheriff's decision can be made to the Court of Session within 28 days of the decision.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about a licence holder then please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Licensing Services
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Ayr KA7 1DR
Tel: 01292 617682

Trade Associations

Not applicable