Toggle menu

Late Hours Catering licence

Late Hours Catering Licence form (Word doc) [45KB]

Standard Conditions for a Late Hours Catering Licence (PDF) [12KB]

To offer meals or refreshment for consumption between 23.00 and 05.00, on or off the business premise, you need a licence from South Ayrshire Council.

If the application is for providing catering that will be mainly or wholly on the premises you must display a public notice detailing your application, in a public place at or near the premises for 21 days from the date the application is submitted. The notice must contain details relating to the application, detail where objections and representations can be made and how the objections and representations can be made.

If you are required to place a notice you must supply South Ayrshire Council with a certificate confirming you have complied with the requirement.

How to apply

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

Applications must be made in writing (including by electronic means) and signed by you or your agent (including by electronic means).

South Ayrshire Council will send a copy of the application to the local chief constable and to the appropriate relevant authority (or where applicable the enforcing authority under the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005).

The enforcing or relevant authority may be the Health & Safety Executive, the fire service or South Ayrshire Council.

South Ayrshire Council will give notice to the public in local newspapers of every application.

We would expect to process your application within 183 calendar days or 131 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

If you wish to appeal against a decision you may do so to the local sheriff within 28 days of the decision. The sheriff can only uphold an appeal if they consider that South Ayrshire Council:

  • erred in law
  • used incorrect material fact when making their decision
  • acted contrary to natural justice
  • didn't exercise their discretion in a reasonable manner

Appeals against a sheriff's decision can be made to the Court of Session within 28 days of the decision.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about a licence holder then please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Licensing Services
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Ayr KA7 1DR
Tel: 01292 617682

Trade Associations

Not applicable