What is the Blue Badge Scheme?
The European Parking Card for Disabled People, also known as the Blue Badge Scheme, provides a range of parking concessions for people with mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport.
The European Parking Card for Disabled People operates throughout the UK and Europe. The concessions apply to on-street parking and include free use of parking meters and pay-and-display bays. Badge holders may also be exempt from limits on parking times imposed on others and can park for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines, as long as they are not causing an obstruction (except where there is a ban on loading or unloading or other restrictions).
Do I qualify?
You are eligible if:
- receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance
- receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- are Registered Blind
If you do not automatically qualify you may still be eligible if you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable or have considerable difficulty in walking. In this case you will be asked to answer a series of questions to help us determine whether you are eligible for a badge.
How to apply
Please note that there is an administration charge of £20 and it can take up to 4-6 weeks to process a Blue Badge.
Only one Blue Badge will be issued per person.
Blue Badge renewal
Blue Badges are valid for 3 years. It is your responsibility to re-apply for a Blue Badge. We recommend doing this 4-6 weeks before expiry date at www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge.
What to do if you lose your Blue Badge
Firstly contact the local Police Station to report the loss of your badge. Contact your local Social Work Office or the Disability Resource Centre and inform that you have lost your badge.
Death of a Blue Badge holder
When deaths are registered the Disability Resource Centre will be informed. All badges must be handed into the local Social Work Office or Disability Resource Centre so that the badge can be deleted from our system and destroyed.
Scottish Low Emission Zone (LEZ) Exemption System
- The Scottish LEZ Exemption System is now live for personal Blue Badge holders to register their vehicles for a LEZ exemption.
- The Vehicle Checker is now live on the official LEZ website which allows members of the public to enter their vehicle registration number to check if their vehicle will comply with LEZ standards.
- More information on the Blue Badge exemption can be found on the Blue Badge Exemption page of the official LEZ website.