Free school meals and clothing grant 23/24
Find out if you qualify for free school meals or a clothing grant and apply online.
Who can apply?
You can apply if your child attends a South Ayrshire Primary or Secondary School and you are in receipt of at least one of the qualifying benefits detailed below
Please note that the qualifying benefits for Clothing Grant have changed and are now in line with the Scottish Governments Free School Meal eligibility criteria.
Please check that you are in receipt of at least one of the qualifying benefits below prior to submitting an application.
Qualifying benefit for free school meals and clothing grant for school session 2023/24
- Child Tax Credit where household income is £18,725 or less
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit where the household income is £8,717 or less
- Universal Credit where earned income is £726 or less per month
- Income- based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Support
- Any Income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you need help with your application, you can call 0300 123 0900 to speak to one of our customer service advisors.
Free school meals
The Scottish Government have committed to providing a free school meal to all P1 to P5 pupils, however we are requesting that parents/carers who meet the above eligibility criteria submit an application as this information will be used to pay free school meal payments during school holiday periods.
- The current value of a clothing grant is £120 per primary school pupil and £150 per secondary school pupil where the parent/carer meets the eligibility criteria
- Only one application can be made per child for each school year
- Clothing grants are not available for children attending early year centres
- If your child has passed their official school leaving date, applications will only be processed once they have returned to school in August
- Young people aged 16-18 years old who meet the eligibility criteria in their own right, can also claim clothing grant and free school meals
- Children who attend primary school and receive free school meals will also receive free milk