ASN Family Forum
The ASN Family Forum offers support, advice and friendship for any parents and carers of young people with Additional Support Needs (ASN) living in South Ayrshire. The Forum meets throughout the year and offers a range of workshops and presentations on aspects of ASN. Recent events have looked at Dyslexia, Mindfulness and Transition. The Family Forum Steering Group plans events for the Family Forum and is made up of parents, carers and South Ayrshire Inclusion Staff.
The dates agreed so far are:
- 24th March 2022, 6.30pm - 8.00pm, Online Maths Event
- 28th April 2022, 6.00pm - 8.00pm, Unity Grill Informal Meet Up
- 26th May 2022, 6.30pm - 8.00pm, Autism evening with Tanya Tenant in Ayr Town Hall
- 9th June 2022, 6.00pm - 8.00pm, Unity Grill Informal Meet Up
Steering Group Meetings
- 4th May 2022, 6.30pm - 8.00pm, Online via Zoom
South Ayrshire Council is committed to ensuring that children get the best start in life and ensure that irrespective of their needs children achieve their full potential. This is hugely important for our children who require additional support.
A wide range of factors may lead to a child having a need for additional support, or ASN as it is commonly referred to. This could be a temporary solution or something more permanent and will help them get the most out of their school education. Additional support needs are identified through a process called Staged Intervention.
Children may need additional support for a number of reasons, e.g.:
Disability (diagnosed or undiagnosed)
Social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
Physical or mental health problems
Divorce within families
Change in family circumstances
We recognise that as parents you are best placed to inform us of the support that your children require but also what you may find useful in the support that we can offer you.
We have established a Steering Group which consists of parents/carers and practitioners who have volunteered to be involved in helping us get the support right for the children and young people of South Ayrshire.
The Steering Group help us to look at a number of areas including:
- Ways in which we can provide support
- The circulation of information to all
- Gathering the views of children and parents/carers
- Identifying support that really matters for the children and families
- Assist with topics and ideas for our ASN Parents Forum
If you would like to be involved in this Group, please mail JulieAnn.Millar@south-ayrshire.gov.uk. We appreciate that joining a Group such as this may not be possible for some people due to commitments, therefore we would also welcome any ways in which we could support you or your child or ideas for the ASN Parents Forum. Your views are important to us and help drive the topics for our Forums.