Bins, recycling and open spaces
Waste and recycling collections
There is currently no impact to our domestic waste and recycling collections, however we do ask that all bins are presented by 5.45am as collection times may vary. We do not collect side waste. Please do not leave any extra waste beside your bins.
There is currently no impact to our Special Uplift collections.
In order to delivery critical services there is a reduction in street sweeping and litter picking. Completion times for missed bins and bin deliveries may also be affected.
Household waste and recycling centres
All Household Waste Recycling Centres are operating normally. Please check Recycling centres for opening times.
Our priority is to keep our employees and residents safe while accessing our HWRCs, so to help us to do this we ask that you:
- Do not go to any of the sites if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of Covid-19, or is 'shielding' because of an underlying health condition;
- Bring proof that you live in South Ayrshire in the form of a driving licence, or a council tax bill. If you don't then disposal of waste may be refused;
- Adhere to the site rules and follow physical distancing guidance;
- Don't bring items that are too big or heavy to handle yourself, as our site attendants will be unable to help you unload your car and dispose of your waste;
- Sort your waste before you arrive to minimise the time you need to spend on the site;
- Follow any temporary traffic management and queuing systems which are in place at all sites as there will be a reduced number of vehicles allowed into any site at any one time.
- Allow extra time for your trip - there may be traffic in and around sites;
- Do not touch your face and bring sanitiser if you can to clean your hands before you drive away;
- Be courteous and patient with our staff who are there to help you.
How to dispose of household waste safely when self-isolating
We understand that some of you may be concerned about how to get rid of your waste if you are either self-isolating, or confirmed as having coronavirus (COVID-19).
If you are asked to self-isolate, either as a precaution, or because you are confirmed as having coronavirus (COVID-19), please follow this advice to get rid of your household waste safely:
- Place all personal waste such as, used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths, securely in a plastic bag or bin liner;
- This plastic bag should then be placed into another plastic bag and tied securely;
- These bags must be stored separately to other waste for at least 72 hours before being placed in the general waste (green bin), or sack if you are on a sack collection;
- The bagged waste must be contained in your wheeled bin(or sack), and presented at your normal collection point. If possible, please make arrangements for someone who is not self-isolating to take your wheeled bin or sack to your collection point.
After 72 hours, the double bagged waste can be put into your general waste as normal. You only need to follow this process for waste that is heavily contaminated such as, used tissues that have been used to cough into, and cleaning cloths. Regular household recycling and waste should be treated as normal.
You should always follow NHS handwashing guidance after handling any household waste.
Access to allotments
On Monday 30 March 2020, the Scottish Government announced that the decision around keeping allotment sites open during the COVID-19 pandemic should be taken by local authorities.
We have taken the decision to keep South Ayrshire allotment sites open at the moment. Plot holders will still be able to access their plots as long as they follow certain conditions.
If you are a plot holder we need you to:
- Follow the current government guidelines on personal hygiene and physical distancing;
- Take hand sanitiser and sanitise, or wash your hands, before and after touching all communal elements such as padlocks, gates, handles, standpipe taps etc.;
- Make sure you don't share any tools;
- Minimise the duration of your stay in line with government guidelines which prohibit any person from leaving the place they are living without a reasonable excuse, and bans public gatherings of more than two people. People over the age of 70 are advised to self-isolate.
Full guidance on staying at home and away from others can be found here.
If your business has had to stop trading due to Covid restrictions then please contact us on email@example.com or 01292-616436/612052 and we will make arrangement to revise the charges on your account.