Trading standards

Petroleum storage licence

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from South Ayrshire Council.

The Trading Standards Service are responsible for ensuring safety at sites where petrol is delivered, stored and dispensed. A licence will allow you to keep an approved quantity of petroleum. It is an offence to keep an amount in excess of this, as is failing to comply with any of the licence conditions, or, keeping licensable quantities without a licence.

How to apply

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 21 days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Consumer complaints

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain a licence holder then please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Trading Standards
South Ayrshire Council
5/7 River Terrace
Ayr KA8 0BJ
Tel: 01292 616060

Trade Associations

Is this page helpful?YesNo

Tell us how we can improve this page

How is this page helpful?