Tourism - Girvan and Carrick
In and Around Girvan
A memorial in Knockcushan Gardens commemorates King Robert the Bruce holding court
here in 1328. Bruce, 5th Earl of Carrick was born at Turnberry in 1274.
Local Museum and Carrick Arts Centre. All year round exhibition programme including
local artists, local history and Ailsa Craig. Open all year Tuesday to Saturday
10am to 4pm also Mondays 11am to 4pm (July and August).
Tel : (01465) 713643.
Granite rock, 1,114 feet high, circumference two miles is the plug of an extinct
volcano and is now a bird sanctuary. Also remains of ruined castle to be seen. Boat
trips around the island from Girvan. Situated 10 miles west.
Now a ruin, Mary Queen of Scots sheltered here on 8th August 1566.
16th century Kennedy Castle now in ruins situated on A765.
16th century tower house now owned by the Duchess of Wellington, situated one mile
west of Colmonell on the River Stinchar.
Bargany Estate Gardens
Splendid woodland walks and picnic areas situated on B734 four miles east of Girvan.
Dalquharran Castle (old and new)
15th century mansion now in ruin near Dailly. New Dalquharran was a Robert Adam
Mansion and sadly now is a roofless ruin. Built around 1786 on a prominent position
above the Old Castle.
Substantial fortified house still a private residence on B741 four miles north east
One in link of Kennedy watchtowers along the coast, now a ruin. Off A77 six miles
south of Girvan.
Old Dailly Church
Church is attributed to period not later than 14th century. Piscina still remains
in wall within tomb of Bargany family in east end of building. Situated three miles
east of Girvan.
Imposing 15th century castle with additions dating through to 19th century. Favourite
haunt of pre-Raphaelites, Dante Rosetti having written poems here. Now a private
Ruined 16th century fortified house in Stinchar Valley five miles from Colmonell.
Castle and Lighthouse
Scant remains of castle reputed to be birthplace of Robert the Bruce around 1274.
Bruce landed here in 1307 to begin his campaign. Right of way (foot) across golf