Tell us once

The Tell Us Once service helps ease the burden of having to deal with official paperwork and telephone calls after the loss of a loved one.

Tell Us Once is offered to anyone registering a death at Ayr and Girvan registration offices and means the council can notify participating organisations of the death on a customer’s behalf.

Through Tell Us Once information is passed securely and in confidence to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in the first instance, which can then be passed on to other government departments and council services.

The information is then used to update records, amend service provision accordingly and calculate any changes to finances such as benefits and tax.

Tell Us Once consists of two parts and is only available to complete in full with the registration staff at the time of your registration appointment and if you bring in all the required documentation. If this is not available at the time of attending the office then the linked reference number created at the first part of the service will be given to you by the registrar to allow you to complete the second part at home, either online or by telephone.

Those using the service will need information about the person who has died including date of birth and National Insurance number, details of benefits/services received, death certificate, driving licence (or number) and passport (or passport number and details of place of birth), blue badge number.

Services and organisations involved include:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with Personal Taxation, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • the local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge, Council Payments, Housing Services, Library Services, Adult Services and remove the person from the Electoral Register
  • Ministry of Defence – War Pension Scheme
  • Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes - to stop pension payments for Fire Service, Police, NHS, Teachers and Armed Forces Service Pensions

For further information, call 01292 617617.