St Johns Tower
Today only the tower remains of Ayr's original parish church, c.1300. The church at one time was commandeered by Cromwell's troops. It is thought that through the Commonwealth occupation the church was used as a storehouse and watch tower. Documentation shows that St. John's was in good order in 1693, but is likely to have been demolished soon after that date.
Interesting to note that, on the 26th April 1315 a meeting of nobility and Parliament in Scotland was convened in St. John's Kirk. At this meeting the crown was officially given to Robert Bruce and his line.