Ayr Citadel was built by the command of Oliver Cromwell and could house a garrison
of troops numbering up to 1000. With it being bounded on two sides by the sea it
was extremely difficult to penetrate.
Once Charles II was returned to the throne, the Citadel was dismantled, to ensure
that it could not be used by any future enemy of the crown. This land was later
gifted to the Earl of Eglinton and later came into the ownership of the Kennedys
Around the time of 1800 the moat was filled in and much of the surrounding area
was laid out for residential development.