The new service starts in the Girvan area from 1 October
People living in Girvan and the surrounding area are being given a chance to find out more about the new recycling service being introduced later this year at a series of roadshows. From October, two new bins will be used to collect 'Paper, Card and Cardboard', and 'Glass Bottles and Jars', with blue bins changing to 'Metals, Plastics and Cartons'.
Around 6,500 properties in Girvan, Crosshill, Dailly, Barr, Old Dailly, Pinmore, Pinwherry, Barrhill, Colmonell, Ballantrae, Lendalfoot, Straiton, Kirkmichael, Kirkoswald, Turnberry & surrounding rural properties will be the first to use the new service. Letters detailing the changes are being sent to all properties, with the new bins being delivered in September.
The new service will help increase the quality of the waste that we collect for recycling, while also increasing the amount of materials South Ayrshire recycles. Working with Zero Waste Scotland, the Council is introducing an enhanced collection schedule between October 2018 and April 2019.The roadshows for Girvan and the surrounding area are scheduled to be held in August:
- Barrhill Community Centre (10-11am), Monday 13th
- Dailly Community Centre (2-4pm), Monday 13th
- Colmonell Community Centre (1-3pm), Tuesday 14th
- Pinwherry Community Centre (3.30-4.30pm),Tuesday 14th
- Barr Community Centre (5.30- 7.30pm),Tuesday 14th
- Straiton Community CentreTBC (10-11am), Wednesday 15th
- McCosh Hall – Kirkmichael (12-2pm), Wednesday 15th
- Girvan Community Centre (12-2pm), Wednesday 15th
- Richmond Hall – Kirkoswald (11am-1pm),Thursday 16th
- Girvan Community Centre (7-9pm), Wednesday 22nd
South Ayrshire Council signed-up to the national Household Recycling Charter in 2016, which is designed to introduce a consistent approach to recycling across Scotland. The Scottish Government is introducing a ban on items such as food waste going to landfill from January 2021.
More information on the new service, including a detailed frequently asked question section, can be found here