Itinerant Metal Dealers licence

If you act as an itinerant - or travelling metal dealer - you must be licensed by a Scottish local authority.

Such a licence will allow you to sell scrap metal anywhere in Scotland.

Your application must be in writing (including by electronic means), in the form specified by South Ayrshire Council and accompanied by any requested fee.

You must be a fit and proper person and not be disqualified from holding a licence.

How to apply

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

Public notice of the application may be given in a local newspaper and objections may be considered.

South Ayrshire Council may make such reasonable inquiries as they think fit and include the results of these inquiries in matters they take into account, but where they intend to include any of these results they must notify you.

You may be given the opportunity to make representations.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 183 calendar days or 131 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

You can request reasons in writing for the refusal within 28 days of the date of the decision.

You may appeal to the sheriff against the decision which must be lodged within 28 days from the date of the decision.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about a licence holder then please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Licensing Services
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Ayr KA7 1DR
Tel: 01292 617682