Browse or download from our Library eBook website
Please note: Due to Amazon's restrictions in the UK, OverDrive eBooks can currently only be used on the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD series of tablets not the standard Kindle series of eBook readers.
Customers using a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD tablet will need to use the OverDrive app or OverDrive Read to use this service. Please see the sections below for guidance.
What are eBooks?
eBooks are downloadable books and audiobooks, which you can read or listen to on your computer and / or on a mobile device such as an eBook reader, smart phone, iPod, or tablet.
What do I need to borrow eBooks?
All you need is a computer, an Internet connection, a valid South Ayrshire Library card and PIN code. It's easy to use, available 24/7 and there are no late fees, simply browse, checkout, download.
- Your library card number can be found below the barcode on the back of your library card. (e.g. 620412298).
- Your PIN code is four numbers long and would have been set for you when you registered (e.g.1234). If you are unsure of your PIN code please contact email@example.com for assistance.
How long can I borrow a title for?
Up to 6 titles can be borrowed at any one time. You can choose how long you want to download each one for – 7 days, 14 days, or 21 days and items are returned automatically. If a book is already checked out, you can put it in your “wish list” and you will be emailed when it becomes available.
OverDrive Read - See Book, Read book
OverDrive Read is a new in-browser eBook reader. It works just like any eBook reading app, except you don’t need to activate or install extra software.
Download Libby, the new app to let you discover and instantly enjoy thousands of ebooks and audiobooks FREE from your library.
- Ground-breaking ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player.
- It only takes a few taps to find and borrow a title.
- Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space.
- Sample any book with a tap – nothing to download or delete.
- Perfect for travelling or when you are on the ‘go’.
- Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio.
To find out more about Libby visit: https://meet.libbyapp.com.
- Install the Libby app from your device’s app store.
- Open the app. To find us search for ‘South Ayrshire Libraries’.
- Browse the collection and borrow a title. When prompted, sign in. You’ll need a valid library card to complete this step.
- Borrowed titles appear on your Shelf and download to the app automatically so you can read them when you’re offline.
- From your Shelf tap Start Reading or Start Listening to open a title.
If you can’t get the Libby app to work on your device, you can try using the original OverDrive app.
Help and advice
For instructions on how to download eBooks and audiobooks, or to check if your device is compatible with our eBook service visit OverDrive, our ebook service provider’s Help Guide.
Accessibility options and information about using our eBook and audiobook service.