Benefit enquiries, calculations and income maximisation

Our advisors can look at your circumstances and the benefits you are claiming to ensure you are claiming everything you are entitled to. We can look at the impact a change in circumstances, such as a change to the number of hours you work, will have on your benefit entitlement. A benefit check can also be referred to as ‘income maximisation’ or ‘better off calculation’. Our advisors will guide you on what and how to claim any additional benefits that you may be entitled to.

Frequently asked questions

I have been receiving DLA but am being moved on to PIP, what does this mean?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the replacement for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). It is available to adults whose disability has a long term effect on their life, whether they are in work or not.

To receive PIP you are likely to have to have a face-to-face meeting with a healthcare professional to assess your level of need. They will determine whether you are eligible for payments to support your daily living, mobility needs, or both. More information on PIP can be found in the Benefits Section of the GOV.UK website.

I have been for an assessment and they have assessed me as not eligible for PIP what can I do?

If you are assessed as ineligible for PIP, you may want to appeal against the assessment. Before you can appeal you must first ask the DWP to look at their decision again, this is referred to as a Mandatory Reconsideration. The quickest and most effective way to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration is over the telephone direct to DWP, you will find the telephone number to use on your PIP Decision letter. If you receive a negative decision on your Mandatory Reconsideration you may be able to appeal to the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Services. The Information and Advice Hub may be able to assist you with an appeal for more information see Benefit overpayments, Appeals and Representation.

I have been offered more hours at work, how will this affect my benefit claim?

Everyone’s circumstances are different, our advisors will take some details from you and look at your specific circumstances before giving you advice on any impact on your benefit claim.

What is Carers Allowance and who can get it?

Carers Allowance is a benefit for people aged 16 or over, who earn less than £120 per week and who spend 35 hours or more a week caring for a person who:

  • has a severe disability
  • receives the middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance; or
  • receives the daily living component of PIP; or
  • receives the care component of Attendance Allowance.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

We know that for many people the impact of COVID 19 may be financial, we will therefore provide as much assistance as possible over the telephone and via email. To speak to one of our advisors please call 0300 123 0900 and ask for the Information and Advice Hub; alternatively you can email us at