Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are intended to provide people with financial assistance to help with their housing costs.

They are paid at the discretion of the Local Authority.

They are not payments of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and are contained within separate regulations.

In order to receive DHP the claimant must get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to qualify for help with their rent.

DHPs cannot be paid towards ineligible costs, such as fuel and meals.

You will not qualify for DHP if Housing Benefit or Universal Credit meets your eligible rent charge in full.

How to claim

You can download a claim form. If you have any difficulty downloading the claim form, please contact your local office. The claim form asks you to provide general information about your accommodation along with details of your income and regular outgoings.

DHPs are awarded for a set period of time and if you still wish to claim them at the end of that period, you will have to make another claim with your up to date financial information.