GIS and maps
South Ayrshire's interactive mapping is a map service that you view in your web
browser. It allows you to view Ordnance Survey maps with South Ayrshire Council
information, including office locations, schools, libraries, and elections information.
You can click and drag the maps to view adjacent areas or view aerial photography
of the location you are interested in.
Navigating South Ayrshire's web mapping
You can choose the mouse, keyboard, and sliders to navigate (move your view) in
two dimensions. To pan (move the map) do one of the following:
- Click and drag the map;
- SHIFT + Click to recenter; and
- Use arrow keys on keyboard to move north, south, east or wet
In addition, you can zoom in or out on the map by doing the following:
- Mouse Scroll Forward to zoom in;
- Mouse Scroll Backward to zoom out;
- SHIFT + Drag the mouse to zoom in;
- SHIFT + CTRL + Drag the mouse to zoom out;
- Use + key to zoom in; and
- Use - key to zoom out
To control the map with a mobile device:
- Double-tap on the screen or 'pinch' the map to zoom in to show more map detail; or
- Tap once with two fingers to zoom out.
Using the navigation controls
The navigation controls you see on South Ayrshire's maps include:
- Zoom - Click + to zoom in on the centre of the map. Click - to zoom out
Using the map
What you see on the map and where you are on the map is controlled from the banner at the top of the page.
- Use this option to switch between Ordnance Survey mapping and aerial photography for the area you are looking at.
- Enter a town or village name, postcode or part of an address to find on the map
- If you enter an address then all matching addresses will be displayed. Simply click on the one you are interested in.
- Click Layers to switch the different map layers on or off in the map.
- Click Legend to display how the layers on the map are being drawn and what they represent.
You can also:
- Click the Home button to redraw the map at the full extent of South Ayrshire;
- Click the Locate Me button to redraw the map at your current location;
Many of the maps also allow you to find out information held by the Council, such as parking or planning information. For
these maps simply click on one of these features on the map to find out about it.
The interactive mapping applications include mapping data licensed from Ordnance
Survey with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
© Crown copyright and/or database right 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number
100020765. The maps held within are intended for identification purposes only and
must not be used for scaling or formal documentation.
South Ayrshire Council uses Ordnance Survey data solely for the purpose of making Council
information available in the public domain. Anyone wishing to use Ordnance Survey mapping
for their own use should contact them directly. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown
Copyright © and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings.