Requests for your own personal data under the Data Protection Act

The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 does not confer any rights on you as an individual to obtain copies of the information that the Council holds about you personally. However, such personal information (known as 'personal data') is covered by the Data Protection Act.

Data Protection legislation gives living individuals the right to receive personal data held by a public authority about them (subject to exemptions such as where disclosure would prejudice a criminal investigation). A request for your personal data is known as a “Subject Access Request” and should be made to the Council’s Data Protection Service. You can make a Subject Access Request in writing or verbally, but it is recommended you make it in writing to give you record of what you have requested and when you requested it. Our Subject Access Request Form has been prepared to help guide you through the Subject Access process, and help you provide us with the information we may need to locate your information. You can also contact the Council’s Data Protection Service on the undernoted telephone number. For further information on how the Council will process your personal data when you make a Subject Access Request please view our Privacy Notice.

There is generally no fee payable to receive the personal data you request, although in certain circumstances the Council may charge a fee. The Council will be able to advise you if a fee is applicable to your request at the time of receipt.

The Council’s Data Protection Policy recognises that the objective of data protection is to ensure that the rights and freedoms of data subjects are considered in the collection and processing of personal data. The purpose of the Council’s Data Protection Policy is to ensure that the personal data collected and processed by South Ayrshire Council is managed in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

The Policy applies to all staff and Elected Members of the Council. Other agencies and individuals working with the Council who have access to personal information held by the Council are also required to comply with this policy.

If you are a current or former Social Work client and wish to see your Social Work file, if you wish to obtain any records held by the Council relating to you, or if you have any general data protection queries, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Service at:

Data Protection Officer
Information Governance Team
Legal & Democratic Services
County Buildings
Wellington Square

Telephone: 01292 612223