Standards for skin piercing and tattooing
- Separate rooms are provided for;
- Waiting area; and
- Carrying out of skin piercing and tattooing.
- The waiting area has a displayed notice advising that;
- Skin piercing and tattooing will not be carried on any person under the influence
of drugs or alcohol;
- Skin piercing will not be carried out on any child under the age of 16, unless accompanied
by a person who has parental rights or responsibilities in respect of that child
and who has given their consent in writing to the skin piercing; and,
- Tattooing will not be carried out on any person under the age of 18.
- The room used for the purposes of carrying out skin piercing and tattooing must
have the following facilities;
- Wash hand basin with hot and cold running water, which uses non hand operated taps;
- Paper towel holder containing paper towels;
- Soap dispenser containing soap;
- Washable bench or chair with a disposable paper sheet;
- Dispenser containing alcohol solution;
- Waste buckets with pedal operated lids for general waste and clinical waste.;
- Sharps container for the storage of needles after use; and,
- First aid kit.
- Unless disposable equipment is used, the following equipment should be stored and properly maintained for use on the premises:
- Ultrasonic cleaners;
- Instrument baths; and,
- Autoclaves and autoclave pitches.
- The premises will be ventilated and limited for the purpose of skin piercing and
In addition, the following conditions shall be imposed.
- The accommodation of the facilities within the premises shall be maintained in good
repair and state of cleanliness.
- Only sterile, single use disposable needles may be used for skin piercing or tattooing.
- For the purposes of tattooing, only sterile pigment or ink, pre-packed in single
use vials may be used.
- The activity of skin piercing or tattooing must be carried out by an operator wearing disposable vinyl or non-latex gloves, which must be changed for each client.
- A supply of the following must be maintained; disposable vinyl or non-latex gloves; disposable razors; and, disposable single use needles.
- Any equipment which is not disposable shall be thoroughly cleaned with effective
disinfectant after each use.
- Skin piercing shall not be carried out on a child under the age of 16 unless accompanied
by a person who has parental rights or responsibilities in respect of that child,
who has given their consent in writing to the skin piercing.
- Any equipment, which is disposable, must be disposed of immediately after use in
an appropriate waste receptacle.
- For tongue piercing a sterilised clamp must be used.
- Information in an easy to understand format must be provided to the respective clients
- The process of skin piercing or tattooing;
- The risks of the procedures; and,
- The after care requirements of the procedure.