Caravan and camping site licence

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from South Ayrshire Council.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application

How to apply

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 10 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Tacit Consent does apply. If you have not received a response within two months you may act as if a licence has been granted.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Sheriff. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on South Ayrshire Council.

Also, if a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they may appeal to the Sheriff Court. Again the appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

The local authority may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local the Sheriff Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on South Ayrshire Council.

Consumer complaints

If you wish to complain about a licence holder please use the contact details below.

Who to contact

Environmental Health
South Ayrshire Council
Burns House
Ayr KA7 1UT
Tel: 01292 618222
Fax: 01292 288755

Trade Associations