Customer Charters

Housing Options Guide - House Sales

Services Provided

If you are considering applying to buy your Council House you may find it helpful to make initial enquiries with a bank, building society or financial adviser particularly if you need to raise a loan. You may also want to appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf.

How To Apply

Your first step is to ask your landlord for an Application to Buy Form (Form APP1). Application forms can be obtained from any of the Area Housing Offices.

Completed forms should be returned either by post or in person to House Sales, County Buildings, Wellington Square, Ayr KA7 1DR and if you require any assistance in completing the form contact the House Sales Section, telephone number 01292 612464.

What Happens Next?

On receipt of an accurate application form we will check for any outstanding arrears on the property, i.e. Rent, Council Tax, Water and Sewerage. If there are arrears of £50 or over, your application will automatically be refused.

If there are no arrears, we will:

  • Acknowledge receipt of your application.
  • Request a valuation of your property.
  • Obtain confirmation of any previous tenancies you have claimed.

Once tenancies have been verified and valuation received, cost floor details are requested. This involves calculating the cost of any repairs/improvements made to your property over the last 10 financial years and your offer of sale will indicate if your house has been affected by this.

When we are in receipt of all of the above information your purchase price will be calculated and the file will be passed to Legal Services to enable a Formal Offer to be issued.

Service Standards

When you contact us either in writing or in person we will:

  • Endeavour to deal with general correspondence within 5 working days of receipt.
  • We will try to deal with your telephone enquiry at the time or pass you to an Officer who can.
  • Process an accurate application within 2 working days.
  • Observe privacy and confidentiality at all times.

What You Can Do To Help

  • Ensure that your application form is completed correctly and signed at the appropriate section.
  • Provide the information we ask for when we ask for it. This will help speed up the process.
  • Behave in a considerate and polite way so we can give you and other customers the standard of service you would expect.
  • Ensure that you read all information that we provide for you, it is to your benefit.
  • Please be patient as there will be times when we are exceptionally busy. We will, however, make every effort to keep waiting time to a minimum.

You can expect us to:

  • Be courteous and professional at all times.
  • Give you as much information and immediate advice as possible.
  • Observe privacy and confidentiality in all matters.
  • Monitor and evaluate our performance.
  • Give you a quality service at all times.
  • Endeavour to provide clean, accessible public offices that ensure privacy, comply with occupational and safety standards and that facilitate access for people with disabilities and special needs.

What If I Am Not Satisfied?

If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, please contact us and we will try to resolve any problems quickly.

If we do not respond satisfactorily, you can take your complaint further by using the South Ayrshire Council's feedback procedure. You can get a leaflet titled 'Help Us To Get It Right' directly from ourselves or from any South Ayrshire Council Office. Alternatively you can phone 0300 123 0900 or email You can also use this procedure for comments, suggestions and complaints about other Council Services.

Who To Contact

Legal & Administration Services
Office Services
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Telephone:01292 612464
Fax No:01292 612367

Application Forms can also be obtained from:

Ayr Housing Office
Riverside House
21 River Terrace
Telephone: 0300 123 0900

Prestwick Area Housing Office
2-6 The Cross
Telephone: 01292 671666

Troon Area Housing Office
Municipal Buildings
South Beach
KA10 6EJ

Maybole Area Housing Office
64 High Street
KA19 7BZ
Telephone: 01655 882124

Girvan Area Housing Office
17-19 Knockcushan Street
KA26 9AQ
Telephone: 01465 712299