Accessibility Skip to main content

Member of the public

If you are concerned about a child or young person you can get advice by contacting the Council’s Social Work Child Protection team on 01292 267675 or call 0800 328 7758 if out of hours. You can also contact us by emailing You can also call Police Scotland on 101.

In an emergency phone 999

  • Child Line - 0800 1111
  • Crime Stoppers - 0800 555 111
  • Parentline Scotland - 08000 28 2233
  • Your local Health Visitor can be found through your local surgery or health centre.

It is everyone's responsibility to protect children.

All children and young people have a right to grow up in a caring and safe environment.

All adults have a responsibility to protect children and young people, including:

  • parents
  • family members
  • friends
  • neighbours
  • members of the public
  • all professionals

Frequently asked questions

  1. What is Child Abuse?
  2. What signs should I be concerned about?
  3. Who should I speak to if I have a concern?
  4. What will happen next if I report suspected child abuse?
  5. What will happen to the child and family if I share my concerns with someone?
  6. Will I have to give my name?
  7. I am finding it difficult to cope with my child, what can I do?
  8. I am being abused or have been abused in the past. Who can help me?

Was this information helpful?  Yes  No

Tell us what we can do to improve the information