View on map
The original County Buildings were constructed between 1818 and
1822 (Architect Robert Wallace), but work began on a large extension to the original
building, the foundation stone of which was laid on 10 July 1931 by the Duke of
York (later George VI), accompanied by his wife (the late Queen Mother).
From the Entrance
Hall rise two semi-circular staircases giving access to the County Hall and a suite
of Committee Rooms, all finished in fumed oak. Six large windows with leaded stained
glass light the staircase, depicting the County Coat of Arms, pictorial representations
of the chief industries and bearing the crests of the 16 Burghs of Ayrshire.
Marriages are conducted within the County Hall which has panoramic views of Ayr
sea front and the Isle of Arran. The County Hall can accommodate the bridal party
and up to 100 guests. For smaller wedding parties, one of the Committee Rooms can
accommodate the bridal party and up to 30 guests. The private waiting room is tastefully
furnished and decorated in keeping with the historical character of the building.
The County Buildings is only available for ceremonies on Saturday afternoons and car parking facilities are located within the courtyard. There is access for the
disabled and an elevator to the first floor Marriage Facilities.