Legal Requirements for Civil Partnerships

For civil partnership in Scotland you must complete Civil Partnership Forms. You need Civil Partnership Form and Guidance Notes (Form CP10) and 1 x Witness Information Form which should be completed, signed and sent to the office for the district in which your ceremony is taking place approximately 8-12 weeks before your ceremony date.

Along with your civil partnership notice forms you must submit the appropriate supporting documents required and correct fee. Our experienced registrars can advise on individual statutory requirements, which can vary considerably depending on nationality, country of residence and any previous marriages/civil partnerships. We will guide you through the legal preliminaries and will check and process all submitted documentation.

If you are subject to Immigration Control please read this information carefully.

You may also need:

Please note that from 1 March 2015 notice must be given not later than 29 days before the date of the civil partnership.

How to submit forms

You can submit the forms by post, in person yourself or have someone hand them in on your behalf. Please make an appointment if attending the registration office in person. If returning notice forms by post please ensure correct postage to avoid delay in delivery. See below for payment methods.

Civil Partnership schedule

Your civil partnership schedule will be prepared from the information contained in your notice forms. This schedule is the document which you will sign on the day of the ceremony and for religious ceremonies, i.e. any non-civil civil partnership ceremonies, and can only be issued to the either of the couple in person and within 7 days of your ceremony date.

The schedule must then be returned to this office within 3 days of your ceremony to allow us to complete your civil partnership registration. Anyone can return the schedule for you. Following the completion of your civil partnership registration you will be sent an official civil partnership extract certificate.


Cheques should be made payable to 'South Ayrshire Council'. If you intend to pay by card please contact this office shortly after you expect your notice forms to have arrived. Marriage notice forms will not be processed without payment.