Waste and Recycling
Did you know?
- A typical household produces one tonne of waste every year, the majority of which
could be reused and recycled
- One million tonnes of nappies are thrown away, that's 8 million nappies every day.
Each child uses a total of 5,850 nappies in their lifetime; that weighs the same
as an average family car!
- For every tonne of recycled newspaper, we save 17 trees!
- It can take just 7 days for old newspapers and magazines to be recycled into new
- The annual amount of forest lost each year is equivalent to the size of Wales!
- It takes 250 trees to absorb the carbon dioxide produced each year by a single family
- It takes just 25 2L plastic bottles to make one fleece!
- Recycling one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60W light bulb for 6
- Recycling one glass bottle or jar saves enough energy to power your computer for
- The glass we recycle in the UK each year saves enough energy to launch 10 space
- Making one can from raw materials uses the same amount of energy that it takes to
recycle 20 cans!
- The aluminium drinks can is the worlds most recycled packaging container – worldwide
– over 50% of aluminium cans are recycled!
- Recycling one aluminium can saves enough energy to power your TV for three hours!
- On average, every person in the UK throws away their own body weight in waste every
Recycling YOUR waste:
- Saves the earth's natural resources.
- Saves energy and reduces the risk of global warming.
- Reduces the need for landfill.