Accessibility Skip to main content

Getting ready for Universal Credit

Opening a bank account

You must have a bank, building society or credit union account before you can apply for Universal Credit. If you don’t have an account, the Money Advice Service website has advice about choosing a bank account.

South Ayrshire Council works in partnership with 1st Alliance Credit Union. If you wish to set up a credit union account, you can telephone them on 0300 123 0900 or visit a South Ayrshire Council Customer Service Centre, in Ayr, Girvan, Maybole, Prestwick or Troon.


Because Universal Credit is paid monthly, and your rent – for example – may be paid fortnightly, you may need to change the way you budget your money. The links below provide more advice and guidance on how to plan out your budget.

Help and advice

The following links can help you prepare for the change:

Change of circumstances

Once you start claiming Universal Credit and have a change of circumstances (such as a partner or dependent child moves in, you start work, or move house) you must report this to the DWP on:

Telephone: 0845 600 0723
Textphone: 0845 600 0743

If you need to supply the DWP with proof of your circumstances such as income, capital or rental agreement you must post these to:

Freepost RTEH – LGUJ- SZLG
Universal Credit
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AJ

Was this page helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback!

We're sorry about that. Why wasn't it helpful?
No response is given so please do not include contact information.

Weekly newsletter

Follow us