Ayr Town Twinning Association
St Germain en laye |
Association des Amis du jumelage St Germain en Laye / Ayr
36 Pemberton Valley
We're always happy to have new members of all ages!
Individual: £10; Family: £18
Did you know? In the last year, we visited St Germain three times, played pétanque
and ten-pin bowling, held a wine-tasting, organised two meals, a Race Night and
won a quiz! Read all about it!
Ayr Town Twinning Association (ATTA) was founded in 1984 with the aim of fostering
and encouraging links between individuals and groups in Ayr and St Germain-en-Laye,
near Paris. Members make friends with French people with similar interests and visit
for short periods, staying in family homes as guests, not as tourists.
Find us on Facebook as ATTA St Gel or visit our blog.
Last year, we visited St Germain-en-Laye for their annual Burns Supper, the European
Market in May and Doors Open Day in September. Now in 2012 it is their turn to visit
us. Our French friends are arriving on 16 May! We've got a great programme lined
up for them, including visits to Arran and Stirling. We kick off with a "real pub
evening" at the Abbotsford on Thursday, 19 May at 8 p.m. Ask for Denise and John.
P.S. Advance notice: for the first time ever, we’ll be holding a Bastille Bonanza
on Saturday, 14 July at Ayr Rugby Club!
Here's what we did in the last year in more detail:
- March: Our AGM included a presentation of all our activities in the last year.
- February: We had a really fun night at the races and made some money for our funds,
too. Were you there? It was such a great event we'll probably do it again next year!
- January: Some lucky people made it to St Germain-en-Laye for a Burns Supper!
- December: 12 of us had a very enjoyable evening at the 10 pin bowling competition,
which was won by Mona Savill. After that, 22 of us went to Vito’s restaurant for
a meal. We all agreed we’d had a really good time and hope to repeat it again at
a later date.
- November: We had a very successful evening at the Inter Town Twinning Quiz in Girvan
and managed to field three teams of 4 people. We even managed to pick up the trophy
- so many congratulations to Isabella Dovaston and the Duff family (Gordon, Elspeth
- September: A party of us visited St Germain-en-Laye. We were taken on a tour of
Paris by bateau mouche on the Seine and, as it was Doors Open Day, we were able
to go round Les Invalides. Our hosts also took us on an excursion to Rouen, where,
much to our surprise, the highlight was a fascinating visit to a wrought iron museum!
- June/July: Adrian Ford of Ayr Petanque Club treated us to a couple of taster sessions.
We were 12 people, so 6 teams competing in 3 groups. Adrian is great at explaining
it all. Most of us were complete beginners but we soon got the hang of it! The next
opportunity to try it out will be at the Bastille Bonanza on Saturday, 14 July.
- June: We organised a wine tasting and interesting visit to cellars.
- May: We enjoyed a special meal at Ayr College and some of us went to St Germain-en-Laye
for the European Market and basked in the sun all weekend.
Help us improve the website
Tell us if the information on this page is wrong. No response is given so please do not include contact