In and Around Prestwick and Troon
Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, sick of an ailment akin to leprosy, found himself
much improved after drinking water from the well. Situated behind St. Ninian's Episcopal
One of the best preserved in the south-west of Scotland. In 1963 Cross was removed
and carefully rebuilt opposite the post office.
Old St. Nicholas Church
12th century ruins. In churchyard graves of several Provosts and many Freemen of
the town. Mort safes can still be seen.
Construction of this well-known landmark began about 1865 as a shelter against storms
and high tides for the harbour area.
Open to the public. A favourite spot for walkers and picnickers.
Troon Yacht Haven
Marina with excellent facilities for visiting yachtsmen including a restaurant and
bar. Tel: (01292) 315553.
Auchans Castle (or House)
Ruins situated on A759 below Dundonald Castle.
Completely restored offering spectacular views from its rooftop. Castle open 10.00
a.m. - 5.00 p.m. April - September. New visitor centre. Tel: (01563) 851489/850057.
Built in the 12th century. Scene of William Wallace's inspiring dream of Caledonia
urging him to fight on for Scotland's glory.
A tower built to the memory of William Wallace. Near Symington.
Built around 1150, one of the few Pre-Reformation and Romanesque style. Ancient
roof of open timber, fine stonework of walls, stained glass and fine group of roundheaded
Norman windows in east gable. Piscina still preserved in south wall. Situated off
A77 at Symington.
The Bachelors' Club
The Bachelors' Club is a 17th century thatched building where Robert Burns and a
few friends formed a debating club in 1780 when it was an ale house. The property
is now managed by the National Trust for Scotland. Tel: (01292) 541940.