In and Around Maybole
16th century fortified laird's house now in ruin, on A77 south of Maybole near Crossraguel
Cassillis House (private residence)
Dating from 14th century still owned by the Kennedy family, can be seen from the
B742 Maybole/Dalrymple road.
Memorial to group of Covenanters on back road near Maybole.
Built in 1244 one of the few Cluniac settlements in Scotland. Extensive remains
are of high architectural distinction. Open to the public on A77 two miles south
of Maybole. Contact Historic Scotland. Tel: (01655) 883113.
Taken over by the Kennedys about one mile due south of Maybole on the Girvan road.
Typical Scottish Baronial style castle, formerly the Town house of the Earl of Cassillis,
visit by arrangement. Tel: (01655) 883765.
Maybole Collegiate Church
Roofless ruin of 15th century church, built for small college establishment in 1373
by Kennedys of Dunure. Contact Historic Scotland. Tel: (0131) 668 8800.
Clock tower all that remains of ancient tolbooth. Originally Town House of Lairds
of Blairquhan. Town hall built adjacent to it last century to form Town Buildings.
Culzean Castle and Country Park
Beautifully furnished castle designed by famous architect Robert Adam in 1777 and
built around an ancient tower of the Kennedys. An Eisenhower Presentation explains
the General's part in European history. Castle open 1st April - 31st October. Country
Park opened in 1973 with Reception and Interpretation Centre. Ranger naturalist
service with guided walks, swan pond, deer park, picnic sites, restaurant and tea
rooms. A719 nine miles north of Girvan. Tel (01655) 884455.
Tam O'Shanter (Douglas Graham) and Souter Johnnie (John Davidson) are buried here.
Souter Johnnie's Cottage
Operated by the National Trust for Scotland, home of the cobbler (Souter), in Burns'
poem Tam O'Shanter. Tel: (01655) 760603.
Private mansion house designed by William Burns for Sir David Hunter Blair and built
between 1821 - 1824. Spectacular grounds with walled gardens. Fine collection of
paintings. Open mid July to mid August. Tel: (01655) 770239.
18th century church with Pre-Reformation aisle. Convenanters' graves.