Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014

From 1 September 2014, local authorities in Scotland will no longer require to administer the scheme of period and temporary venue approval for the purpose of undertaking civil marriages out with council premises.

Premises Approval for Marriage or Civil Ceremony

If you wish to offer marriages or civil ceremonies at your premises or vessel, your premises or vessel must be registered with South Ayrshire Council.

Applications for registration must include specified information and be accompanied by a fee and may be for permanent or temporary approval.

The application must include the name and address of the applicant and a description of the place or, for vessels, the intended position of the vessel in sufficient detail to allow a South Ayrshire Council inspection.

In addition, temporary approvals must include the date and time of the intended marriage.

How to apply

The links below take you to another website which processes these applications on behalf of South Ayrshire Council

What happens next?

Before considering an application South Ayrshire Council must have received all the required supporting documentation before the application is considered lodged.

Your premises or vessel will be inspected and a Public notice will be given and any objections by the public must be considered.

Approval will not be granted if:

  • the application is not in the correct format
  • the place or vessel would compromise the solemnity and dignity of civil marriage
  • the place is in religious premises
  • the place or vessel is deemed unsuitable

South Ayrshire Council must have regard to the guidance issued by the Registrar General.

The applicant must be a fit and proper person.

Conditions may be attached to approvals.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 21 calendar days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

You have the right of appeal to the sheriff against a refusal of the application.

If you have had an application refused, South Ayrshire Council will not consider another application in respect of the same place or vessel within one year unless there has been a material change of circumstance.

You also have the right of appeal to the sheriff against a conditions attached to the granting of approval.

If your approval is revoked, suspended or varied you will be given the opportunity to be heard by South Ayrshire Council. You also have the right of appeal to the sheriff.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you object to an application for approval you may give notice to the South Ayrshire Council within 21 days from the date on which public notice was given.

Who to contact

Registration and Bereavement Services
Ayr Registration Office
South Ayrshire Council
5-9 High Street
Ayr KA7 1LU
Tel: 01292 617 617

Trade Associations

Not applicable

Help us improve the website

Tell us if the information on this page is wrong. No response is given so please do not include contact information.