The Low Green has long played a part in Ayr's history. Like many areas of urban open space it was originally used as common grazing land. This led to recreational use and so to become a major tourist attraction through the Victorian era. At this time the ground was contoured, seating was installed and the promenade created.
Today the Low Green is still a major attraction with its large expanse of grassland, encouraging visitors to picnic, play ball games or just to sit and enjoy the views.
The Low Green is the home of South Ayrshire's largest play area, suitable for all age groups. Also there are putting greens and a recently opened indoor play area for children within the Ayr Pavilion.
This area of open space is all that remains of Ayr Burgh's Common Lands, which were granted by Royal Charter to the Burgh in the 14th century.
The green has, for the most part, been used for sports and games. In the 16th century men used the area for various pastimes, while in 1870 an area was laid out for ladies to play croquet. From 1872-1875 the Ayr Thistle and the Ayr Academy Football Clubs utilised the area. However due to the damage to the turf the council prohibited football matches.
By the mid 1800's the potential of the Low Green as a tourist attraction was identified by the Burgh Council and in the 1880's improvements were made. In 1881 the sea wall was built and the first part of the Esplanade was built.
The original sea wall of 1881 was washed away the following year and had to be rebuilt, but this did not stop the first part of the Esplanade being laid. In 1892 a public fountain was presented to the town by James Steven and erected on the green while in c.1887 a bandstand was installed where it remained until 1951-2.
During the First World War the Royal Flying Corps were given permission to use the Low Green as a landing strip, though in 1916 they moved to the Racecourse.