The main focal point of this square is the large formal public gardens, which provides seasonal colour for its many visitors. The gardens have a number of statues and monuments, including the Cenotaph c.1920 by James K. Hunter, an Ayr architect.
Mr. Charles Shaw, a former Provost of Ayr built the first house in the square in 1803, with the remaining houses being built between 1810 and 1820. While the houses have individual characteristics all were required to be two storey, built of stone with a slate roof. Many of these houses have now become offices.